July 12, 2007

Sacrifice

Asummpta Corpuscularia Lapislazulina

Some interpretation of this painting from the Dali Gallery online: "Dalí saw this painting as an interpretation of the philosopher Nietzsche's idea of natural strength, although here we have Gala as a "superwoman", ascending to heaven through her own innate force. In a later explanation of the work, Dalí wrote that Gala was rising to heaven with the aid of "anti-matter Angels". The painting can be interpreted as Gala's body either disintegrating or integrating."



So today I am thinking about this painting, and the song below. I find the painting interesting because of the power of the image of Dali's wife and muse Gala as the combination of an angel, savior, and woman. She is all at once idolized, a perfect vision of beauty and peace, ascending, dispersing, being torn apart. (and on a geeky Harry Potter note...don't those look like Dementors swirling around her?)


And I don't know if this is Dali's intention, but from the many images of Gala in his paintings, I believe that he found her to be both an angelic muse and an earthly woman, with all the things in between. I think he explored the complexities of womanhood, and of humanity. And this was early to the middle of last century. This painting was painted in the mid 50's. I wonder how Dali would have envisioned such a woman today.


I am thinking about the woman of today, and our roles in modern society. This is heavy in my mind this weekend as I go to the NOW (National Organization of Women) conference. My goal is to listen and talk to women about this, about the issues of third wave feminism, how women in our culture can do just about everything, are free to make our own choices, and the problems that arise from that. Now that women can do it all, how do we decide what is important and learn how NOT to actually try to do it ALL. How do women become happy, content, and fulfilled without overwhemling and sacrificing ourselves?

"Crucify" by Tori Amos

Every finger in the room is pointing at me

I wanna spit in their faces
Then I get afraid what that could bring
I got a bowling ball in my stomach
I got a desert in my mouth
Figures that my courage would choose to sell out now.
I've been looking for a savior in these dirty streets
Looking for a savior beneath these dirty sheets
I've been raising up my hands
Drive another nail in
Just what God needs
One more victim
Why do we crucify ourselves
Every day
I crucify myself
Nothing I do is good enough for you
Crucify myself
Every day
I crucify myself
And my heart is sick of being in chains
Got a kick for a dog beggin' for love
I gotta have my suffering
So that I can have my cross
I know a cat named Easter
He says will you ever learn
You're just an empty cage girl if you kill the bird
I've been looking for a savior in these dirty streets
Looking for a savior beneath these dirty sheets
I've been raising up my hands
Drive another nail in
Got enough guilt to start
My own religion
Why do we crucify ourselves
Every day I crucify myself
Nothing I do is good enough for you
Crucify myself
Every day
I crucify myself
And my HEART is sick of being in chains
Please be
Save me
I cry

No comments:

Post a Comment