July 15, 2007

The Road Ahead

The Path of Enigmas (second version), 1981 but Salvador Dali
Wow, a double post today! I am making up for my upcoming week out of town, I guess. When I really get on a roll with blogging, it becomes quite addictive, and I start to think in "blog", and I feel like I almost need to write it in order to complete my thoughts on the things I am thinking. I guess that is what writers feel. I have not really considered myself a writer, but I am definitely starting to see some tendencies in myself.

Anyway, I feel like I need to finish up these posts about Dali for a bit. This painting above is one that I am actually unfamiliar with. I don't think I have seen it before. It was from late in Dali's life, when perhaps Gala was ill or dying, and perhaps Dali's health was failing. There is a distinct change in his technique in the paintings of his later years, and a turn to very religious and historical imagery, and I just haven't studied them much. But I found this one because I was looking for something that was a road, or a light at the end of a tunnel, and I somehow knew there would be an image for me in his catalog. I do not know what the wrapped sacks represent at all, but i find this image to be beautiful and strange, and I want to post it to see it and think about it for a while.

I am pairing this with a Sam Robert's song, Hard Road. I suppose I could have posted A Road Not Taken, by Robert Frost, but I found that to be a bit obvious. I enjoy this image of the road, the unknown road ahead, which may be hard and difficult, but which also offers the hope and promise of what it may bring.

Feel, feel it grow
In your mind
In your mind
Life is how you live it
Through time
Through time
And there's no desert sun
That is hot enough to feed your fire
We shipwreck like fools
Only to become the ocean's choir
And the sun dies until it's reborn
But there's no road
That ain't a hard road to travel on
Got lost on the way
but you found the road again
Stay true to your friends
'cause they'll save you in the end
There must be something in the air, in the air
Some kind of answer to my prayers, to my prayers
Some kind of answer to my prayers
I've been dying since the day I was born'
Cause there's no road that ain't a hard road to travel on
I have a vision in my mind
Of a life that I've left behind
And can't you see that lost souls can't swim
You know you'll sink but you still jump in
And it's alright to get caught
Stealing back what you've lost
Yeah don't you know that lost souls can't swim
You beat them back or they drag you in
And I can't say that I'm sorry for all my medicines
And you try to find a love
That'll see you through your darkest days
And her soft brown hair
Is as long as the Canadian highway
And the sun dies until it's reborn
But there's no road
That ain't a hard road to travel on
Been dying since the day I was born
'Cause there's no road that ain't a hard road to travel on

And if you want to hear the song/watch the video: Sam Roberts~Hard Road
And a final thought/request: Does anyone know of a service where I can post a song on my blog that can be clicked and played, like the music player on MySpace? I have a lot of demands, it has to be free, legal, easy, and safe. Anything like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment