July 10, 2007

Perfection and Disintegration


"Disintegration of the Persistence of Memory" by Salvador Dali

Can you stand another random sounding post linking the ocean and nature, surrealism and vague references to unnamed happenings in my life? If not, go ahead and click away from here. I see my stats, I know that there are but a small few of you who drop in to read the blog every so often. Those of you who do are probably either my real life or online friends, so this bizarre activity may not surprise you. I must warn that I do not usually drink and blog, so forgive this rambling, tipsy foray into my psyche.

I am still stuck thinking about Dali, and remembering the things I used to know. And I am thinking about his fascination with spirals and energy, and disintegration. This painting above is in my head today. I know it means many things to many people, and I also know that it has something to do with nuclear energy and weaponry. So it seems to have sort of violent imagery, but to me the disintegration paintings of Dali are slow motion examinations of the very molecules of matter.

This painting represents the contents of my mind at the moment. My mental landscape, once made up of tidy, perfectly organized items in seemingly perfect perspective, has been deconstructed. This is not necessarily a bad thing...not so much a slip into madness. This dream state is more of a slow motion dissection of thoughts and plans. Things that seemed solid and stable are now dissipating down to basic elements, and I while I was at first frightened by the unexpected explosion, I am now a calm observer of the spiralling and disintegrating elements. Thoughts are stripped to the core, and all the excess parts are floating around, able to be examined in full detail from all angles.

Sometimes I think things need to fall apart in order for one to really examine them closely, to understand them in more depth. This is my state of mind, once perfect things swirling around in my brain, being exposed for all that they really are, not what I perceived them to be. How's that for philosophical?

"Have no fear of perfection -- you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

"Soft Watch at the Moment of First Explosion" by Salvador Dali

FYI, I switched the comments of this blog so I have to moderate them. I got an odd bit of comment spam recently, so it was time to go into moderate mode for a while again.

No comments:

Post a Comment