July 11, 2007

Controlling Chaos

Head Bombarded with Grains of Wheat (Particle Head Over the Village of Cadaqués), Salvador Dali

I am knee deep in the thick of things today.Must glaze beads, load and fire them, write two articles, take the dog to the vet, make more beads, prepare for show set up tomorrow, and oh yeah...breathe.

I am examining the elements of chaos in my life today while I work. Which elements are vital and required for my happiness and which are excessive, dangerous, or no longer necessary.

I will keep it short today with all these thoughts, but I leave you with a song that I am very in tune with today. I love when songwriters, especially women, sing about work and life and dealing with the demands of our modern life. If you know songs like this, I am always looking, so leave me a comment and tell me your favorites.

So Called Chaos, Alanis Morrisette

Deadlines and meetings and contracts all breached
d-days and structure, responsibility
Have to's and need to's, get to's by three
Eleventh hours and upset employees
I want to be naked running through the streets
I want to invite this so-called chaos that you think I dare not be
I want to be weightless flying through the air
I want to drop all these limitations but the shoes upon my feet
Heartburn and headaches and soon-to-be ulcers
Compulsive yearnings non-stop to please others
I want to be naked running through the streets
I want to invite this so-called chaos that you think I dare not be
I want to be weightless flying through the air
I want to drop all these limitations but the shoes upon my feet
All won't be lost if I'm governed by my own innate-ness
The stoplights won't work, I'll get home sound and safe regardless
won't be mayhem if I'm ruled by my own rule-lessness
my fire won't quell and I'll be harm-free and distress-less (trust me)
Line-towing and helping
Expectations-up-to living
Inside-box-obeying
Inside-line-coloring
I want to be naked running through the streets
I want to invite this so-called chaos that you think I dare not be
I want to be weightless flying through the air
I want to drop all my limitations but the shoes upon my feet
I want to be naked running through the streets
I want to invite this so-called chaos that you think I dare not be
I want to be weightless flying through the air
I want to drop all these limitations and return to what I was born to be

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for ths wonderful compilation of paintings, from Dali. I am really enjoying this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are enjoying it...you started it you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi!
    I have to thank you too. I knew very little of Dali, only 2 or 3 paintings but you're showing me much more and I'm loving it so much... honest! though I don't make beads I appreciate reading your blog and you make a very good job, congratulations... if I'm repeating myself I'm sorry, but I really like your bog and work!
    :)
    manela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie,

    I love your thoughtful posts about Dali and the inspirational song lyrics. I think Patty Griffin's "Making Pies" is a very subtle example of how women set aside dreams and resign themselves to enduring daily work life.

    Your work is wonderful and I'm really enjoying your posts!

    Stef

    P.S. As a fellow Harry Potter fan, I completely agree that the images in the painting look like dementors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your thoughts and comments everyone! And thanks for the Patty Griffin song..I will look that up...

    ReplyDelete