June 1, 2007

Salad Days

I am feeling good today, I am in a really good place with less than a week before the Bead & Button show now. I was able to get all my pending orders shipped yesterday and all my wet clay work and glazing is done. Packaging and glazing are coming along. The pace has slowed considerably. I mean, I am still working from dawn to dusk, but I feel different, more calm, more resolved. I know I just need to finish this set of tasks and the end is near.

Yesterday I was able to spend some time in the kitchen, even! I am not a big fan of cooking, but I do enjoy it sometimes...it comes in waves. Usually as a response to an ingredient or trying to replicate something I have eaten recently. Yesterday, I was inspired by a giant pile of green onions we were given by my parent's neighbor from his garden. I love green onions, but had no idea what to do with so many!

Yesterday's experiment was a salad dressing, based on one I found online, and altered a bit. It was quite good! In the summer, I like a sweet and sour and spicy dressing, with a lot of vinegar and a bit of bite. This one was very much like that. I will include my recipe below. I wonder how long it will last in the fridge, though. The bottle of dressing barely put a dent in my pile of onions though, so I am thinking a soup is in order. Perhaps a leek recipe.



A picture of my salad, made with spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, hard boiled egg, and sharp cheddar cheese. Served with two pieces of Parmesan toast. Yum!

1 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 t salt
1/2 t dry hot mustard
1/4 t celery seeds

Blend in a food processor. Chill.
(in writing this, I notice that I doubled the amount of vinegar that the recipe called for, so that explains why it was so vinegarry. But that's how I like it, so it suits me. Probably a normal person would like 1/4 cup though.)

1 comment: