April 9, 2007

Dear Alanis & Fergie

Ok today's blog is not about clay or beads or business stuff. I am stepping outside of my comfy zone a little to comment on the world around me, so come back tomorrow for my usual thoughts about the other stuff...

I just saw this video yesterday (along with over 3 million people in the last week, apparently!), and I feel compelled to write a personal note to two famous and successful women in music:

Dear Alanis Morissette,
I love your music and words. Over the years I have really related to your stories of heartbreak, success, failure, self doubt, happiness, pain, and questioning. You are one of my favorite musical performers. And one thing that makes me love you more is this parody of "My Humps" by the Black Eyed Peas:



I don't know how on earth you came up with the concept for this, but I applaud you! Thank you for making a mockery of the super sexualized female music video! By slowing down the lyrics I became aware of how self-degrading the song really is. It is one thing for a woman to be proud of her body, but another to exploit herself.

You have a hilarious sense of humor that I really relate to. I knew this when I saw you play God in Dogma

Thank you
Alanis

Dear Fergie,
I must admit, I do not own any of your music, I am only familiar with what i have heard on the radio and on TV. While I believe that women should not judge each other and run each other down, I believe that they should also express themselves. I want to express that I am disappointed with the way you portray yourself to the media. I have tired of the scantily clad, overly sexualized, money/bling grubbing images of women, and I worry about what this does to young women today. Songs like "My Humps" and "Fergilicious" and "London Bridge" minimize you to a piece of flesh (albeit one with good vocal cords)

I think I would not even notice your music today, as it just blends in with all the other hyper-sexed female pop to me. I guess the thing that bothers me so much is that I once had some hope. Hearing your chorus on the Black Eyed Peas song "Where is the Love?" from 2003 still sends shivers down my spine when I hear it:




That is a song of substance and soul! I wish we could see some more of that from you! Maybe I am mistaken and there are gems hidden on the albums behind the radio tracks. Unfortunately, I will probably not ever give it a try, as I just cant force myself past the candy babe, gansta bling imagery. It just puts me off too much. And I am sure my opinion is irrelevant, and that I am not your target consumer. I know that sex and raunch sells, and that is unfortunately the bottom line. It just makes me sad, I'm just sayin'.

Sincerely,
female music consumer

1 comment:

  1. HI!
    I TOTALLY agree with you! Your words are my words! Thank you for sharing this alanis's video! loved it!
    bye, manela

    ReplyDelete